Sunday, July 20, 2008

*ACHOO* I lost my poor meatball...

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

Every kid would know this song when they were growing up. I remembered the ABC used to have a video clip for this song, with a kid chasing his getaway meatball down the street. Even though meatballs are a common comfort food for a lot of people, but its something I've never made before. The most I've done is help my mum roll the Chinese meat balls we steam, just like those you find at yum cha.

With the weather the way it is, this was a good chance to churn out some comfort food.

I started off with beef and pork mince, at a 2:1 ratio. I add some finely diced bacon, garlic and onion, which I had sauteed until they had soften and turned brown. I soaked some bread in water, squeezed the water out until dried and mashed the bread in. Grate in some carrots into the mix with a dash of rosemary and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until everything is combined.

Take your time and roll small bite sized meatballs. Even though this is time consuming, it's quicker to cook and much easier to eat when you don't have to fit a fist sized meatball into your mouth.

Heat up a pan and panfry the meatballs until golden brown.

For the sauce, I used finely diced onions, carrots and capsicums. Saute in a pan with garlic until the vegetables soften. Add a can of diced tomato, some stock, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Gently simmer for at least an hour to let the flavors develop. When the meatballs are almost cooked, add them to the sauce and simmer. Serve piping hot on top of some spaghetti, or eat it on its own topped with heaps of cheese.

2 comments:

Lilia said...

Hi,
I was cooking Indonesian Oxtail soup when suddenly my friend told me not to forget the nutmeg powder.

I had to tell you that one of the spices is nutmeg powder.

So Sorrryyyy...

Without lots of nutmeg it will not smell like an authentic Indonesian oxtail soup. Also, you can add spring onion if you like it.

SoRMuiJAi said...

hahaha Thanks for that. I did use nutmeg powder (Cos I was too lazy to grate my own), but maybe I didn't use enough? The soup still tasted really really good though, but still a little bit different from the one I had in Singapore. Maybe the one I had in Singapore wasn't that authentic? And it definitely had MSG in it! hehe I bet thats the major difference. ;)

I definitely want to make it again soon though! Thanks for the recipe! Its in my recipe archive now :D